Friday, June 26, 2009

First Few Days: Cold in Chi-town

The coat I brought to Chicago was a last minute decision. I stood, looking at my overstuffed suitcase, and wondered if I really needed it. I was already bringing so much shit. Finally, I gave up and tossed it in.

Good thing.

Since my arrival in the Windy City, Chi-town has been just that—windy. Oh, yeah, and cold, and rainy. As we traipse around the city, experiencing art and culture, I am a little sad that I am not dressed the part. All of the cute little dresses and nice shoes are still stowed away in boxes as I grab yet another sweater.

We are sick of it, but we all giggled together as we shivered on a street corner waiting for the bus to arrive.

“At least we aren’t here in January,” someone offered.

Simone, who is from the city, offered another tidbit. “Did you know that gang violence decreases during the winter?”

We all loved that one. Sarah imagined the scenario.

“Yo, you know you my boyz and I got chour back, but I’m just gonna stay here by da fire, make me a s’more,” she said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment